Housing and homelessness
Risk of homelessness
If you are homeless or worried about becoming homeless, contact the Housing Inclusion team as soon as you can.
We can help by:
- helping you avoid being evicted by a private landlord
- negotiating with your lender if you're a homeowner
- advising you on finding somewhere else to live
Help with council tax
You could get help with paying your council tax if:
- you are on a low income or
- you live alone or share your home with someone who is not your partner and who cannot help you pay rent or council tax
Help for people living in detention
If you are living in detention in the UK, you might be able to get a council tax discount.
Help through the Breathing Space scheme
You could get help through a scheme called Breathing Space. The scheme helps people struggling with rent and mortgage arrears, including delaying eviction or mortgage repossession, freezing payment demands and legal action, while you get free debt advice.
Help with your mortgage
If you’re struggling to pay your mortgage or are already behind on your payments, you can take steps to avoid losing your home.
- talk to an experienced advisor
- talk to your lender to discuss options including temporary payment arrangements, lengthening the term of your mortgage and switching temporarily to interest-only repayments
- look at your monthly budget to see if you can make cuts to your costs [link to Budget Planner | Free online budget planning tool | MoneyHelper]
- the charity Shelter has more advice on how to deal with mortgage payments and arrears
Help with rent
If you are struggling to pay your rent, contact us. We can help negotiate with your landlord to avoid eviction if you have rent arrears.