Energy costs

If you are struggling to pay your energy bills, you should speak to your energy provider as soon as possible. Under rules from regulator Ofgem, your supplier must help you – usually by negotiating a payment plan that you can afford. 

Find out more about energy bill advice.

Warm Spaces

There are locations across the borough which will provide a warm, safe and welcoming location for residents to go during the winter months. We are continually adding to the list of warm spaces, so please check back regularly for updates.

Warm Spaces you can visit this winter.

If you can provide a warm space in Royal Greenwich, please email so that we can understand the details of what you are providing and include it in our directory.

Stay Warm Stay Safe

If you are having problems paying your winter fuel bills, you could get support including a free advice on fuel bills, a room thermometer and flu jab, through our Stay Warm Stay Safe scheme.  

Apply for support.

Cost-of-living payments

You might be eligible for a cost-of-living payment from the government. If you’re eligible, you’ll be paid automatically in the same way you usually get your benefit or tax credits. 

Find out if this payment will be made to you.

South East London Community Energy Co-op

You could get free energy advice at a local café through the South East London Community Energy (SELCE) organisation. 

Get advice and support on energy through SELCE.

Water Sure and WaterHelp schemes

If you are on a low-income, have a large family to support, or a water-dependent medical condition, you can get help through Thames Water’s WaterSure and WaterHelp schemes. 

Apply for a discount through Thames Water.

Energy Rebate Scheme

The government's Energy Rebate Scheme ended in March 2023.

If you have a traditional key or card meter, your energy supplier will have sent your rebate in voucher form by email or post. You should have received one voucher every month, starting from October 2022.

Redeem your vouchers by 30 June 2023

Vouchers are valid for 3 months from the date of issue but can be extended or replaced by contacting your supplier. But you must act quickly - all vouchers must be redeemed by 30 June 2023.

Vouchers can be redeemed at the post office or your local pay point outlet. Check with your supplier where the voucher they've issued can be redeemed, as this may vary.

Visit GOV.UK for more information 

Make your home more energy efficient

You could get help from an energy supplier to make your home more energy efficient and save on your bills.

The Energy Company Obligation (ECO) is a government scheme to support low-income households and lower household emissions by creating more energy efficient homes. 

Check the eligibility criteria in our ECO4 Statement of Intent to make sure you’re eligible.  

Find out more about the ECO and what you could get