When you need to get a licence
You need to get a personal alcohol licence if you:
- want to sell alcohol at a premises that holds a premises licence
- want to get more than five temporary event notices in a year
- are a designated premises supervisor at a premises that holds a premises licence.
You don't need to get a personal licence for every person at an establishment that supplies alcohol, but you must make sure that a personal licence holder authorises every sale of alcohol.
You should have a written list of people who have been authorised to sell alcohol on behalf of the personal licence holder. This list should be made available for inspection by licensing or police officers at the premises.
Once you get a licence, it's valid for as long as the business exists, and you have to pay an annual continuation fee.
Apply for a licence
Please note - You must apply to the licensing authority of the district or borough in which you live, not where you work. If you live outside Royal Greenwich, apply to your local authority.
Before you apply, you need to:
- read the guidance on applying for a personal alcohol licence
- undertake training and get an accredited Level 2 certificate for personal licence holders - see the guidance on personal licence courses (Gov.UK)
- get endorsed passport photos - details of photo requirements and endorsements are in the guidance on applying for a personal alcohol licence
- apply for a criminal convictions certificate/search (see guidance below).
You also need to send the following documents with your completed application form:
- your disclosure of criminal convictions and declaration
- your original Level 2 certificate for personal licence holders
- your original criminal convictions certificate or search results
- two passport photographs - one of which must be endorsed
- proof of entitlement to work in the UK - see the list of documents that are accepted
- the application fee.
Send or take the documents to:Licensing Team,
Fourth floor, The Woolwich Centre,
35 Wellington Street,
Woolwich SE18 6HQ
If you bring the documents, please ask to see a member of the licensing department.
Get a criminal convictions certificate/search
You must enclose one of the following with your application:
- a criminal conviction certificate issued under Section 112 of the Police Act 1997
- a criminal record certificate issued under section 113A of the Police Act 1997
- the results of a subject access search under the Data Protection Act 1998 of the Police National Computer by the National Intelligence Service.
All searches must have been completed less than one month before the date you apply for your personal licence.
What happens next
We'll usually notify you within 20 working days of the result of your application. If your application is successful, you can either collect the licence from the Woolwich Centre or we can post it to you.
The application fee for a personal alcohol licence is £37.
The administration fee for any changes made to a licence or for a copy of a licence is £10.50.
You can pay by a cheque or postal order made payable to the Royal Borough of Greenwich or by cash.
Renew your licence
You no longer need to renew personal licences. Your personal licence is valid until you surrender it or it's revoked.