Your rights and responsibilities as a private renter

If you are renting from a private landlord, you have certain rights and responsibilities. For example, check whether your landlord:

If this didn’t happen, then if your landlord serves an eviction notice, it might be invalid.

If you rent from a housing or letting agent they must belong to one of the Government approved redress schemes. You can complain about the agent (Citizen's Advice) to the redress scheme if you think they're doing something wrong.

Find out more about your rights on Gov.UK

You can also find a wide range of advice and information on the Shelter website.

Do you know your landlords contact details? If not, you can you can request your landlord’s name and address in writing from the person who collects your rent. Keep a copy of your request letter.  If the name and address are not provided within 21 days this is an offence. If you provide proof of the request and 21 days have passed with no response you can ask our Tenancy Relations Officer for assistance.

Facing eviction

The law says that landlords have to follow certain procedures before evicting a private tenant.

The Government have put in place an official form for the eviction notice - Section 21 (Notices to Quit).

If your landlord hasn’t used this then the notice might be invalid.

Find out how the Housing Aid Centre can help if you are facing eviction or harassment

Difficulties paying the rent

If you are getting behind with your rent or think that you might not be able to pay it in the future, it's important to act quickly to avoid the risk of losing your home. Even if you have other debts, make sure you prioritise paying your rent.

Contact the Housing Aid Centre as soon as you have any worries about your rent. Housing advisers can explain your options and help you decide what to do.

Get help to pay your rent

If you are renting from a private landlord and have a low income you may be able to get Local Housing Allowance (LHA) to help pay your rent.

Home in disrepair

If you rent your home from a private landlord, your landlord is responsible for making sure your home is kept up to a reasonable standard of repair.

Find out what to do if you're having difficulties getting repairs done

Think your property may be unlicensed

Landlords must have a licence if they manage a house in multiple occupation (HMO) in the Royal Borough of Greenwich.

Find out more about reporting a property

Grants and help with odd jobs at home

The Greenwich Handyperson scheme provides help with essential jobs around the home and is available to tenants who are disabled or ill, aged 60 and over, or on low income.

Find out about help with odd jobs at home through the Greenwich Handyperson Service