Advice, information and equipment
We can provide you with a wide range of advice, information and advocacy services and contacts:
- information on national and local deaf and hard of hearing organisations
- information on British Sign Language (BSL) and lip reading classes
- basic advice on welfare rights and benefits and basic advice on housing
- information about where to find other services in Royal Greenwich, for example Citizens Advice Bureau and housing advisers, with advice on access to these services for deaf and hard of hearing people
- support with applications for travel permits and bus passes, disabled person's railcard and the text users rebate scheme for textphone users
- advice on Text Relay, a national relay system for textphone users.
Equipment for the hearing impaired
There is a lot of equipment that can be useful for people who are deaf or hard of hearing. We can assess your equipment needs, provide equipment for people in need, or help you find the right supplier.
The team can help you with:
- advice and information on equipment for deaf and hard of hearing people
- an assessment of your equipment and adaptation needs by a technical officer
- supply and installation of equipment including door alerting systems, pager receivers, smoke alarm transmitters, and baby alarms.
Online shopping for equipment
The Action on Hearing Loss online shop offers catalogues and price information on a wide range of equipment, from telephone amplifiers to alarms and alerts.