Help with housing costs
Many homeowners miss out on extra weekly income because they do not know they can claim.
You may be able to get help towards:
- housing costs by claiming Support for Mortgage Interest (Gov.UK)
- Council Tax payments
- repairs and home improvements.
Who is eligible
You may get help towards your mortgage interest payments and interest on loans taken out for repairs or improvements if you receive one of the following benefits:
- Income Support
- income-based Jobseeker's Allowance
- income-related Employment and Support Allowance
- Pension Credit Guarantee.
Royal Greenwich Housing Aid Centre provides help and advice on issues such as mortgage arrears.
If your housing costs are not being met in full, you should inform your lender to discuss how to resolve the situation. It is important to get advice at an early stage in order to avoid falling into arrears and risk losing your home.
Depending on your circumstances there may be other help available to you. For more information read our advice leaflet for homeowners.