Skip to main content

Help with housing costs

Many homeowners miss out on extra weekly income because they do not know they can claim.

You may be able to get help towards:

Who is eligible for support for mortgage interest?

You may get help towards your mortgage interest payments and interest on loans taken out for repairs or improvements if you receive one of the following benefits:

  • Income Support
  • income-based Jobseeker's Allowance
  • income-related Employment and Support Allowance
  • Pension Credit Guarantee.

Since April 2023, Universal Credit (UC) claimants may also qualify even if in low-paid work. 

Support is in the form of an interest-bearing loan. This will need to be repaid if you sell the property or transfer ownership to someone else.

Further information

If your housing costs are not being met in full, or if you are struggling to afford your mortgage payments, you should inform your lender to discuss how to resolve the situation. It is important to get advice at an early stage in order to avoid falling into arrears and risk losing your home.

Depending on your circumstances there may be other help available to you. 

If you need benefits advice or a free benefits check, contact the Welfare Rights Service on 020 8921 6375.

If you need housing advice, you can get help from Shelter.

If you need debt advice and counselling, see our information on help with debt.