Who is eligible for help?
You may be eligible for help with the cost of repairs or home improvements if:
- you are in receipt of an income related benefit or guaranteed pension credit
- and you or someone living in your household is aged 60 or over, or has a disability, or a long-term illness.
What help is available?
Grants of up to £5,000 are available to meet the cost of major repairs and essential improvements to your home.
Where the cost of the building work is over £5,000 we can offer an interest free loan of up to £25,000 to meet the remaining costs.
If you are eligible, the Disability and Home Improvement Team will:
- let you know what work will be covered by the assistance
- appoint a building contractor from our list of preferred contractors to carry out the work
- will manage the building contract for you.
The assistance will be paid directly to the contractor after the work has been satisfactorily completed.
Does the assistance have any conditions?
You must agree to continue to own and live in your home for at least five years after the work has been completed. If you do not, we may ask you to repay the grant and loan with interest.
If you take up our offer of a loan, it will be secured as a charge against your property. Providing that you keep to our conditions you will not have to make any repayments until your home is sold or the ownership passes to someone else.
Contact us at email@example.com for more details of the terms and conditions.
What other help is available?
If you have small jobs that need doing in your home you may be eligible for our handyperson service.
Home improvements for disabled people are available if you need adaptations to your home to help you live independently.