How we can help to adapt your home

If the design and layout of your home makes it difficult or even impossible for you to carry out everyday activities such as bathing, using the toilet, cooking or preparing meals, the Disability and Home Improvement Team can help.

We have building surveyors and occupational therapists who have expertise in the design and adaptation of housing to meet the needs of people with physical disabilities.

Contact us

To apply for help contact Adult Social Care for an assessment.

What can we do to help?

If you are assessed as eligible for help we can carry out major adaptations to your home; for example, we can:

  • provide a stairlift or through-the-floor lift if you are unable to manage the stairs
  • replace a bath with a walk-in or wheel-in shower
  • or provide a ramp if you use a wheelchair and find it difficult to get in and out of your home

How much does it cost?

If you are a council tenant, home adaptations will be provided free of charge.

If you own your own home or rent from a private landlord we will help you to apply for a Disabled Facilities Grant to cover some or all of the costs of the adaptation work.

Homes that cannot be adapted

Sometimes it is not reasonable or practicable to carry out adaptations. If you do not own the home that you live in, you can apply to move to a home that is more suitable for you.

This is available if:

  • you are council tenant
  • rent from a private landlord
  • or live with friends or relatives

Join the housing register

When you register on the housing waiting list you will be asked if you or any members of your household have a disability.

If you need special housing because of a disability:

  • You will be placed on our special 'Occupational Therapy Rehousing List'.
  • The Disability and Home Improvement Team will try to match you up with a home that meets your needs.
  • We will also arrange for any adaptations that need to be done after you have moved in.

If you are a home-owner we may still be able to offer some help with moving. Contact us for further advice.