Handyperson Service

Need some help doing jobs around your home? The service helps people who are 60 or over or have a disability by doing essential small jobs around the house for them.

What jobs can I get done?

Jobs that the Handyperson Service can take on include:

  • checking and installing smoke detectors
  • hanging or taking down curtains, curtain rails or blinds
  • changing fluorescent light tubes
  • putting up shelves
  • replacing toilet seats
  • setting central heating programmers
  • bleeding radiators
  • minor plumbing jobs
  • minor electrical jobs
  • minor carpentry jobs
  • cleaning out gutters

How much does it cost?

If you're aged 60 or over or disabled, you can get the following jobs done for free:

  • simple light bulbs changed
  • grab rails installed
  • trip hazards removed.

Other jobs are free if you get an income related benefit, such as Housing Benefit or Guaranteed Pension Credit, or reasonably charged for older or disabled residents.

Examples of charges are shown in the table below.

Handyperson Service charges
Job Cost
Set central heating programmer £18
Supply and fit door security chain £40.20
Replace plastic toilet seat and lid £31.20
Clear out gutters  £36

We'll give you an estimate of the cost over the phone or visit you and give you a written estimate.

After the job has been completed to your satisfaction, we'll send you an invoice. You can pay online, over the phone, or in person at the Royal Borough's customer service centres.

What can I expect from the Handyperson Service?

We aim to give you an appointment (morning or afternoon) for a visit within two weeks of your call.

Our handy people are directly employed by the Royal Borough of Greenwich. They carry identification and wear the Handyperson Service uniform.

Our handy people are professional, friendly and polite.

Are there any jobs the Handyperson Service can't do?

We're unable to offer gardening, painting or decorating services or to put flat-pack furniture together but we may be able to put you in touch with other agencies who can help.

For advice on how to choose a reliable builder, use our What Trader? scheme.

If you're renting your home, we're unable to carry out repairs that are the responsibility of your landlord.