Skip to main content

Get advice on the switchover to Universal Credit

Some working age benefits are being replaced by Universal Credit. If you or your partner are working age and you currently receive a benefit that is ending, you will soon be invited to claim Universal Credit instead. You'll need to do this to continue to get financial support.

You will also receive the letter if you’re a pensioner who receives Working Tax Credit. This also affects you if you are of working age and if you currently receive:

  • Income Support  
  • Housing Benefit
  • Child tax Credit
  • Working Tax Credit 
  • Income Related Employment Support Allowance (ESA)
  • Income Based Jobseeker's Allowance (JSA)

The switchover to Universal Credit is called managed migration.

Find out more about the move to Universal Credit on GOV.UK

As Child Tax Credits will no longer exist, pensioners who receive Child Tax Credit will receive a letter closing their claim. These pensioners will have the option to claim Pension Credit instead or add their child to their existing Pension Credit claim.

What to expect

If you need to move to Universal Credit, you'll get a Migration Notice letter from the Department for Work and Pensions (DWP) some time between April 2024 and December 2025.

If you receive a Migration Notice, do not ignore it. 

Come to our Universal Credit managed migration advice sessions

When you have your letter, we can give you specialist advice about moving to Universal Credit.

If you need extra help, we can also help you submit your Universal Credit claim. We will also be on hand to help with any problems that you experience as a result of moving over to Universal Credit following a Migration Notice. 

When and where the sessions take place

The sessions run every Tuesday from 10am to 12pm at the Woolwich Centre, Wellington Street, Woolwich, SE18 6HQ.

These are drop in sessions and you do not need to book an appointment.

What to bring

We'll need:

  • your Migration Notice letter
  • your national insurance number, if you have one
  • details of your housing costs, including how much you pay for rent or a mortgage, and who else lives with you
  • details of any childcare costs you may have
  • details of how much you earn from work and any other income you may have, including income from benefits
  • information about any savings and investments you have, such as shares or a property that you rent out
  • details of your bank account, building society or credit union accounts