Full plans and building notice applications

Depending on the size and complexity of the works, you may need to make a building notice application or a full plans application. In both cases, you need to tell us at least two days before work starts.

You must make a full plans application if wish to:

  • do work to a building which isn't a single family dwelling house
  • erect a building fronting a private street
  • construct over or within three metres of a public sewer.

For smaller building works that aren't complicated, you usually need to make a building notice application. This could be a through room, chimney removal or drainage alteration.

If you think your works don't need a full plans application, contact Building Control. Incorrect applications may cause delays.

Download the building control guidance notes and fees table

Make an application

Make an application (Building Control Portal)

Make a full plans application

Download a full plans form and make an application

Make a building notice application

We only need the information on the form, and a block plan of the site. We may sometimes ask for further details. There is no formal approval of the plans.

Download a building notice form and make an application

Responsibility for giving notice

If you're doing the building work yourself, the responsibility rests with you. If you're employing a builder, they may take responsibility, but if it's done wrong it may be up to you to get it put right.

If you don't own the property, you should talk to your landlord about your proposals.

If you carry out works that need approval and you don't make an application or get the work checked, you could be prosecuted. You may also need to dismantle or remove the work.

Find out how you can apply for building approval for previous works.

What happens after you've given notice

We will assess the plans, and make site inspections as the work proceeds. As long as the work is carried out as shown on the approved plans, you'll be likely to meet the regulations.

Re-submission and queries

You may be asked to submit revised details if you make amendments. You can re-submit an application for free if it's rejected due to incorrect information, or the five-week time set to give an answer runs out. We'll let you know about any unclear points in enough time for you to resolve them and gain approval.

Completion certificate

If all goes well, you'll receive a completion certificate. Keep this in a secure place as you'll need it when you sell the property. You or your builder may need to supply certain test results or certificates before we issue the completion certificate.