Do I need planning permission?

You're responsible for making sure you get planning permission, if it's needed for any building or works you carry out. The Planning Portal has a guide to help you find out whether you need to apply for planning permission.

Check planning rules for common projects (Planning Portal)

Read our guidance on applying for permission for windows

If you don't own the property, you'll need the owner or landlord to agree before going ahead with works. Talk to them before applying for planning permission.

Your neighbours may be affected by your proposals. Talk to them about your plans before submitting any application.

You may also wish to pay for pre-application planning advice on the works that you propose to carry out.

Commercial properties

Works to commercial premises generally require planning permission. Works to the inside of a premise may be exempt if the 'use class' or the way the premise will be used remains unchanged. 

Permitted development

You can make certain types of minor changes to your house without needing to apply for planning permission. These are known as permitted development rights.

Certain areas or buildings are subject to Article 4 directions which remove some permitted development rights.

Read about permitted development rights (Planning Portal)

Conservation areas and listed buildings

If the property is in a conservation area, there are tighter controls limiting those works that you can carry out without a planning permission. To make alterations or do works to listed buildings, you'll also need separate listed building consent.

Damaged or demolished building

Works to replace a damaged or demolished building do not automatically get planning permission. Please contact the Planning Department for further advice at

New and large-scale projects

You'll need permission to construct new commercial or residential premises. We advise you to get pre-application planning advice before applying.

For large-scale projects, the developer may need to complete a Section 106 Legal Agreement. In these cases, policies set out in the Planning Obligations Supplementary Planning Document (SPD) will apply.

Developers should also refer to the waste and recycling storage and collection guidance for new developments