In June 2019, the Council agreed a motion to declare a climate change emergency.
It means we recognise that the impact of climate breakdown is already causing serious damage around the world. It means that all governments have a duty to act, and local governments that recognise this should not wait for their national governments to change their policies. We also declared that strong policies to cut emissions have associated health, wellbeing and economic benefits.
Most of the emissions in Royal Greenwich come from transport and energy used by homes and businesses.
We know that we cannot become carbon neutral unless we:
- reduce the number of journeys made by polluting motor vehicles
- insulate our buildings and move away from gas boilers
- enable people to walk, cycle and use public transport wherever possible
- only use renewable electricity
- use fewer disposable items and recycle everything we can.