When you need a licence
You must have a licence for a school-age child to take part in a professional performance. This includes:
- theatre performances
- film performances
- broadcast (television, radio) performances
- child photography
School age is classed as up to the end of the academic year after the child turns 16.
You must have a licence for a school-age child to take part in an amateur production if the child performs more than four times in a six-month period. This includes paid and unpaid performances.
When you don't need a licence
You don't need a licence for an amateur performance where all of the following apply:
- the child isn't being paid
- the child isn't missing school
- the child performs less than four times in a six-month period.
In this case, you need to get an exemption letter from the local authority confirming that the child doesn't need a licence.
Please note - You don't need a licence or an exemption letter if the organising party is a school or education provider.
How to apply
Please note that:
- You need to apply for a licence at least 21 days before the performance. In exceptional circumstances, we can issue licences more quickly - contact the Child Employment team for information.
- If the child is going to miss any school, you need to contact the school before applying and get them to provide a letter stating they're happy for the pupil to do the performance.
- You may need to arrange for a tutor to accompany the child if they're going to miss a lot of school.
The form needs to be completed by the person responsible for the production or performance. There is also a section that needs to be completed by the parent.
Send the completed form together with the supporting documents to the Attendance Advisory Service.
What happens next
Although current legislation for the issuing of Child Performance Licence applications requires 21 days’ notice, the Child Employment Officer may grant a licence, if the application is received at least ten working days prior to the performance, if all supporting documents are provided.