Coronavirus COVID-19: Latest updates

Many council services are reduced or disrupted. Check our coronavirus page for the most up-to-date information. Read the latest and sign up for updates.

Frequently asked questions about in-year admissions

Select a question to reveal the answer.

  • The following are considered valid reasons for not being able to provide the required proof of address:

    • the applicant has recently moved to Royal Greenwich from another borough or from abroad
    • the Council Tax is paid by a private landlord or is included in the rent
    • the applicant is not entitled to public funds
    • the applicant is in the UK armed forces or is a Crown Servant
    • exceptional circumstances (where the applicant is fleeing domestic violence, house fire and so on).

    If you're not liable for Council Tax or have recently moved, you'll need to provide alternative proof of address, such as:

    • opening accounts for public utilities such as electricity, gas or water
    • a tenancy agreement via a commercial letting agency (the tenancy period must extend beyond the start of the academic year in which your child starts primary school)
    • proof of payment of rent to a landlord on a regular basis
    • evidence of the completion of the purchase of a new property
    • for members of the UK armed forces, an official letter confirming the address of your quarters
    • for Crown Servants, evidence that they'll be residing in Royal Greenwich.

    If you're unable to provide any of the above, AT LEAST TWO of the following types of documentation may be accepted:

    • a tenancy agreement
    • benefit letters
    • wage slips or P45
    • bank statements
    • utility bills
    • Home Office letter
    • medical card
    • driving licence.

    If you're unable to provide any of the documentation listed above, please seek advice from the Admissions Service about what other documentation could be considered as being acceptable proof.

  • YES.

    If you are living within the UK you can apply for a Royal Greenwich school place.

    Crown Servants and Service Personnel are the only exceptions. If you're a member of the UK armed forces or a Crown Servant, you may apply for a school place for your child in advance of your move into the area. You'll need to provide an official letter which gives a relocation date and an address.

  • The Admissions Service can advise you about vacancies in Royal Greenwich schools. The easiest way to do this is by emailing us at For schools in other areas, you'll need to contact the borough in which the school is situated.

  • It can take up to 15 school days from the date you submitted your application. If you have not received notification after 15 school days, you should contact the Admissions Service to check the progress of your child's application.

  • Although every effort will be made to meet your wishes, it might not be possible to offer a place to your child at one of your preferred schools. Your child may be allocated a place at a school where there is a vacancy. If a place is not offered at a preferred school you have the right of appeal.

  • The Families Information Service (FIS) offers support to parents and carers who may need support with the school admissions process. The service is available to everyone and provides:

    • a wide range of information on local schools
    • support in making informed and realistic preferences.
    • help in completing the relevant forms
    • information about the appeals process

    If you have questions about which schools will best meet your child's academic and developmental needs, or require support in making your application, please contact the Families Information Service at or on 020 8921 6921.

  • We operate a Fair Access system so that children with a history of challenging behaviour and vulnerable children are offered the most appropriate education placement as quickly as possible.

    Our Fair Access Panel meets on a fortnightly basis and consists of representatives from Royal Greenwich schools, the local authority and other agencies. The Panel considers all information available and the child's individual circumstances to make an informed decision as to what education placement would best meet the child's needs.

    Children placed through our Fair Access system take priority over children on a school's waiting list and those pending an appeal.

    Download the Fair Access protocol and factsheet