Coronavirus COVID-19: Latest updates

Many council services are reduced or disrupted. Check our coronavirus page for the most up-to-date information. Read the latest and sign up for updates.

Arranging your carer's assessment

If you feel you would benefit from a carer's assessment, or if you wish to find out more information there are a number of options available.

  • Phone: 020 8921 2304
  • Email:
  • If the person you care for has an allocated team or individual social worker, please contact them.
  • If the person you care for has an allocated care coordinator with Oxleas NHS Trust, please contact the care coordinator.

Joint assessment

In most cases, you will be offered a 'joint assessment' where your carer's assessment is combined with the assessment or review of the person you care for. 

If you want a separate assessment you have the right to one - please let us know. The person you care for may also want a separate assessment, which is also their right.

If you have a joint assessment, this may take a little longer than a single assessment appointment. It may be necessary for the assessor to speak to each of you separately, in case there's anything you'd like to say in confidence.

However, it's easier to arrange and will take less of your time overall than two assessments. The benefit is that the assessor can understand everyone's viewpoint and needs, so the support you get is with the full picture.

Who can have a carer's assesstment? 

You are entitled to a carer's assessment if you provide unpaid support on an informal basis to an adult (aged 18 or over) with care or support needs. The Royal Borough of Greenwich provides funding to support carers of people who live in the borough. Carers who live in Greenwich but care for someone living elsewhere can also access some services here. You may wish to have your assessment with the local authority where the person lives, as they may provide a greater level of support.

  • Care or support needs could be a wide range of issues - for example the person you care for may be older and frail, may have a long-term illness or disability, or a mental health or drug/alcohol problem.
  • The care provided may include personal care tasks such as:
    • bathing or dressing
    • helping someone with shopping, cooking or eating
    • emotional support
    • managing medication or finances on someone's behalf
    • accompanying or providing transport for someone to access health appointments or social activities.

You may be an adult, or a young carer aged under 18. However there are differences to what young carers can expect (see below).

People not entitled to a carer's assessment 

You are not entitled to a carer's assessment if you:

  • are paid by an organisation or individual to provide care
  • provide care to a family member or friend as a paid Personal Assistant
  • provide care as a volunteer in an organisation
  • provide care to someone in prison or hospital, although you can get an assessment as soon as you know they will be released or discharged
  • provide care to a child under the age of 18 - if you provide care to a child with additional care and support needs, Children's Services who will assess and review your child's needs should also take into account your needs; you are also entitled to use the services for carers advertised on these pages.