Information and documents you need to apply

To apply for a Blue Badge, you need to submit certain details about yourself and your medical condition, as well as documents proving your identity, address and disability.

Read the information below to make sure you provide the correct documents, otherwise your application may be delayed.

Apply for a Blue Badge now

Information about yourself

You'll need to provide a passport standard photograph of yourself (check rules for passport photos on Gov.UK) in electronic format.

We'll also ask you for your:

  • email address and contact details
  • National Insurance number
  • child benefit number - if you're applying on behalf of a child
  • driving licence number - if you're the driver
  • vehicle registration number - if you use regular vehicles

If you're applying because you have a permanent disability that makes walking difficult or impossible, we'll also ask you for details such as: 

  • any medications you're taking and the dosages
  • the dates of your visits to your GP
  • any treatments or operations you've had in connection with the medical condition or disability.

Proofs of identity, address and disability

We accept the documents listed below as proof. You'll need to provide a certified copy in electronic format - for example, a scan or a photograph. Make sure you can access these documents from the device you're using to make the application.

Find out more about certifying a copy of a document on Gov.UK

Proof of identity

For proof of identity, you can provide a certified copy of any one of the following items:

  • birth or adoption certificate
  • marriage or divorce certificate
  • civil partnership/dissolution certificate
  • valid full driving licence
  • passport.

Proof of address

For proof of address, you can provide any of the following, but it must be dated within the last three months:

  • council tax bill
  • utility bill
  • bank account statement.

Proof of disability

For proof of disability, you can provide any of the following:

  • all pages of your of award letter for Disability Living Allowance or Personal Independence Payment - must be dated within last 12 months, with at least three months remaining on the award
  • evidence of receipt of Personal Independence Payment - must be dated within last 12 months,  with at least three months remaining on the award
  • evidence of receipt of War Pensioners Supplement or Armed Forces Compensation Scheme
  • certificate of visual impairment (or registration card if you're registered with the Council's Sensory Service)
  • if you don't receive any benefits, we'll accept any medical report which supports your application - must be dated within last 12 months