Skip to main content

Discounts for disabled people

You may be able to get a council tax discount if you or anyone in your home is disabled, and if one or more of the following statements is true:

  • a room in the home is mainly used and needed by the disabled person
  • a second bathroom or kitchen in the home is used and needed by the disabled person
  • a wheelchair is used indoors by the disabled person.

Read the guidance notes for more information about the criteria for disabled occupant relief

If a reduction is given, you only have to pay the amount for the council tax band below the one that would normally apply to your home. For example, if your home is in Band D the charge would be at the Band C level. If your home is in Band A, there's a fixed reduction.

Please note - A full council tax bill is based on at least two adults living in a property. Discounts do not apply if at least two people over 18 who live in the same property are counted for council tax purposes. If after discounting occupants there remains only one occupant then a discount of 25% of the council tax bill may be given.

Please note - You must continue to pay council tax in accordance with your bill until your discount has been granted. Failure to do so may result in recovery action which could incur costs.

How to apply

To apply for the discount for a council tax discount for a disabled occupant, you need to read the guidance notes and then complete the form. Send the form to the address stated on the form.

Apply for disabled occupant relief


If the Royal Borough of Greenwich decides not to award a discount you can appeal in the first instance to the Council Tax team within 28 days of notice of the decision stating your reasons. However you may not appeal against the amount of the discount.