Housing Benefit and Council Tax Support overpayments
If you've been overpaid Housing Benefit or Council Tax Support, we'll write to you about the overpayment and tell you:
- the reason for the overpayment
- how much you've been overpaid
- what period the overpayment relates to
- whether the overpayment will be recovered and how.
How we recover overpayments
There are various ways we can recover overpayments. These are:
- deductions from your Council Tax account
- deductions from your Housing Benefit entitlement
- asking you to repay the overpayment - if you're not on benefits.
Repaying the overpayments
If we can't deduct your overpayment from an account or entitlement, we'll send you an invoice for the repayment.
You can either pay the invoice in full or in instalments.
If you don't repay an overpayment, you could face legal action.
If you disagree with the Council's decision to recover the overpayment, you have the right to ask us to reconsider. You must normally request this in writing within one month of the original decision date.
Arrange to pay in instalments
Contact the Benefit Recovery team to arrange to pay by instalments. You'll need to give your Housing Benefit or Council Tax Support reference number.
If you're struggling with debt and money matters, it's important to get specialist advice.
Contact the Welfare Rights Service for a free benefits check.