Help with housing costs

Help with Council Tax

Your Universal Credit award does not include any help with council tax.

You will need to make a separate claim online for Council Tax Support from Greenwich Council.

If you are entitled to full help, this can cover up to 100 per cent of your council tax bill.

Help with housing costs

You may be able to receive a Universal Credit housing costs element to help with your rent or service charges. If you are an owner occupier, you may also be eligible for a loan to help pay your mortgage interest payments.

However, if you are in temporary or supported accommodation provided by the local authority, you will need to claim Housing Benefit for help with your rent from Royal Greenwich.

The help with housing costs element under Universal Credit is normally paid directly to you. However, you can ask for it to be paid to the landlord instead if you:

  • are unable to budget the payments yourself; and
  • and your family are at risk of harm (for example, at risk of being made homeless).

Your housing costs can also be paid direct to the landlord if you:

  • are at least two months in arrears with your rent; or
  • have continually underpaid your rent and are at least one month in arrears.

Either you or your landlord can request this.

Find more information on Housing Benefit and Council Tax Support from Royal Greenwich