Overnight short breaks are short-term care provided by someone other than the parents or usual carers of the child. Previously known as respite care, they are part of the council's short break offer for disabled children and their families.

Who can get overnight short breaks?

You may be able to get overnight short breaks if you have children who have either of the following:

  • complex health needs which may require care overnight
  • severe and profound disabilities.

Types of overnight short breaks

The type of overnight short break care you may get depends on your individual circumstances. It may include your child:

  • being looked after in their own home
  • being cared for by an individual, couple or another family
  • going to a residential home.

How to arrange an overnight short break

You can find short breaks (day and night) on the Local Offer, an information resource for parents or carers of children and young people with special educational needs and/or disabilities.

Find a short break on the Local Offer

If you feel your child requires an overnight short break, you'll need to make a referral for a social work assessment - for contact details, search the Local Offer under 'Children with Disabilities Social Work Team'.

You'll be expected to show that you've looked at other short break options before applying for overnight care.