Arranging Direct Debit payments for your council housing charges
Direct Debit is a cheap and easy way to pay your council housing rent and other housing charges, and you don't need to fill in a new form every year.
We offer six instalment dates each month. These are on the 2nd, 7th, 14th, 22nd, 28th and last days of the month.
We will tell you in advance the amount that we will collect from your bank account each month.
How to apply for a Direct Debit
Set up your Direct Debit payments using our online form now
Alternatively, telephone the Council Housing Direct Debit team on 020 8921 3201 and arrange to pay by Direct Debit over the phone.
You will need a UK bank account to set up a Direct Debit.
It is important to arrange to pay your bills - including rent - immediately after you receive your benefit payments. This will make sure that important payments aren't missed.
Once your application is processed by the Council Housing Direct Debit team, a confirmation will be sent to you within three working days, or not more than ten working days before the first collection.
Read answers to frequently asked questions on Housing charges Direct Debit
The Direct Debit Guarantee
- This guarantee is offered by all banks and building societies that accept instructions to pay Direct Debits
- If there are any changes to the amount, date or frequency of your Direct Debit, the Royal Borough of Greenwich will notify you 10 working days in advance of your account being debited or as otherwise agreed. If you request that we collect a payment, confirmation of the amount and date will be given to you at the time of the request
- If an error is made in the payment of your Direct Debit by the Royal Borough of Greenwich or your bank or building society, you are entitled to a full and immediate refund of the amount paid from your bank or building society
- If you receive a refund you are not entitled to, you must pay it back when the Royal Borough of Greenwich asks you to
- You can cancel a Direct Debit at any time by simply contacting your bank or building society. Written confirmation may be required. Please notify us if you cancel your Direct Debit