Building regulations and advice
If you're planning on doing building works, make sure you know about the regulations, where you can find a suitable builder or tradesperson and what insurance you may need.
Planning permission and building regulations
You may need planning permission and/or building control approval before starting building works.
- Check when you need approval (Planning Portal website)
- Apply for planning permission
- Give notice of building works.
Use a competent builder
Before hiring a contractor, check that they're registered with a self-certification scheme. This is where contractors are trained and licensed to do certain aspects of the work under building regulations.
You can find reviews of registered home improvement traders on the Royal Borough's What Trader? scheme.
Building warranties and insurance
You may wish to insure yourself against stalled or unsatisfactory works. There's a range of products that could help:
- New build residential homes warranty (Local Authority Building Control website)
- Home cover for existing domestic dwellings (Federation of Master Builders website)
- Commercial cover against latent defects (Local Authority Building Control Warranty website).
Your right to cancel
You have the right to cancel most types of contract within 14 days.