Published: Friday, 20th May 2022
The Royal Borough of Greenwich will be celebrating 50 years since the first UK Pride march with a dedicated Pride 50 area at Royal Greenwich Together 22.
The Royal Borough of Greenwich will be celebrating 50 years since the first UK Pride march with a dedicated Pride 50 area at Royal Greenwich Together 22. Pride first took place in Britain in London on 1 July 1972.
The fabulous marquee, hosted by METRO Charity and QUEERCIRCLE, will take pride of place at the free event in Charlton Park from 12 noon to 6pm on Thursday 2 June.
Among the acts and performances will be:
- 12 noon to 1pm Proud crafting: painting and colouring with Al Hill, Eleanor Louise West and Jade O’ Belle
- 12 noon to 4pm Proud crafting: make your own badge, patch, beaded necklace, and candy cuffs with Al Hill, Eleanor Louise West and Jade O’ Belle
- 12 noon to 4pm Gender affirming free haircuts with Queer Cuts (over 16s)
- 1 to 2pm Polari Secret Language workshop with Dan de la Motte
- 2 to 3pm Proud crafting: zine making with Staying Out
- 2.30 to 3.30pm Wig out! Create your own growable cardboard wig workshop with Avant-Gardening/Bijou Stories
- 12 noon to 4pm Rainbow disco! Dancing through 50 years of pride with DJ Tete Bang!
- 3.15 to 3.45pm Drag aerobics! Shake, sweat and groove with Dolly Trolley!
- 4 to 5pm Beginners guide to voguing workshop with Raphael Milan and Sakeema
- 5 to 6pm Pride 50 extravaganza show! Featuring Crayola the Queen, Cyro, Prinx Silver, and Andrea Di Giovanni
Open all day! Come and rest your fabulous selves on our comfy bean bags!
The Royal Borough of Greenwich is committed to equality, diversity and inclusion and we can’t wait to see our community come together to celebrate 50 years of Pride in the UK.
The free family festival will kick off a huge summer of events for 2022 and begin the borough’s Platinum Jubilee celebrations. The Platinum Picnic in the Park will follow on Friday 3 June, from 12 noon to 4pm.