Published: Monday, 22nd January 2018
The winners of the first Best of Royal Greenwich Business Awards in association with Lovell have been announced.
The Royal Borough of Greenwich teamed up with South East London Chamber of Commerce for the inaugural awards to highlight the vital role businesses play in providing sustainable growth, celebrate our diverse business sector and show how we work together to support our local community.
The winners were:
- Business Start Up award (sponsored by Grant Saw Solicitors) - J7 Security Limited
- Innovation (sponsored by NEC) - Inside Out Contracts
- Young Entrepreneur (sponsored by McDonald's) - Archery Fit
- Sustainability (sponsored by IKEA) - Redurchin
- Tourism and Culture (sponsored by MBNA Thames Clippers) - Old Royal Naval College
- Independent Retailer (sponsored by Handelsbanken) - Ottie and the Bea
- Digital Leadership (sponsored by Russell King Associates) - Bridge Support
- Food and Hospitality (sponsored by Drury Tea & Coffee Co) - Feast
- Social Enterprise (sponsored by London City Airport) - First Step Trust
- Employer of the Year (sponsored by London South East Colleges) - MJ Rooney Construction.
Countdown's Nick Hewer hosted the glittering awards ceremony which was held at InterContinental London - The O2 on Friday 19 January. The Council received 125 nominations across the 10 categories with 50 businesses shortlisted by the judges.
Almost 350 ticketholders enjoyed a champagne reception sponsored by Riney, a two course lunch and entertainment from students from Millennium Performing College which is based in Woolwich.
Sponsors, contributions in kind and ticket sales fully funded the awards ceremony and £1,200 was raised for the Mayor's charities - the Garrison Church of St George and Wide Horizons - through a raffle, with £5 from the sale of each ticket being divided between the two.
Junior Entrepreneur Programme
The awards have inspired regeneration company U+I to set up a junior Entrepreneur Programme in some of the Borough's schools. More information will be available shortly and the programme will be up and running in the spring.
It was also announced that U+I will be the Headline Sponsor for next year's Best of Royal Greenwich Business Awards ceremony.
'A fitting celebration'
Councillor Denise Hyland, Leader of the Royal Borough of Greenwich, said: "Congratulations to all the winners of the first Best of Royal Greenwich Business Awards and thank you to all our sponsors for making it possible. I would also like to thank all those who took time to enter the awards, and everyone who came along to the ceremony.
"We are proud to be home to over 11,000 businesses and the awards were a fitting celebration of this and build on existing support which the Council provides to businesses of all shapes and sizes. I'm already looking forward to next year's event which will be even bigger and better!"