Benefits, grants and debt

Get benefits advice

Find out more about benefits and how you can claim them. Anyone can claim benefits - including homeowners and private tenants. 

Speak to our Welfare Rights team

Benefits and tax credits are payments from the government to certain people on low pay, or to meet specific needs.  

Contact our Welfare Rights team about what benefits you can get.

Universal Credit

If you are not already claiming any benefits, you might be able to get Universal Credit, a monthly payment to help with your living costs if you are on a low income or out of work.  

See if you can claim Universal Credit.

Housing benefit 

You may be able to get financial help with rent through the benefits system. Anyone can claim benefits - including homeowners and private tenants.  

Get housing benefit.

Discretionary housing payments

If your rent is not met in full by Housing Benefit or Universal Credit and you are finding it difficult to pay, you can apply for extra help in the form of a discretionary housing payment. 

Apply for a discretionary housing payment. 

Visit our in-person advice hubs

Get free, face-to-face money, debt and benefits support at advice hubs across the borough. 

Find your nearest venue and speak to our advisors.

Help for immigrants

You can still get benefit support if you are a refugee, asylum seeker or immigrant. This in-between state is known as No Recourse to Public Funds (NRPF).  

Find out more about the benefits you can get.

Find support if you are a recent immigrant from Ukraine.


If you have no recourse to public funds, the NRPF Network can help you understand find out what your rights are as an immigrant.

Or contact our team on 

Get free debt and money advice

Debt Free London

You can get 24x7 confidential support and advice from Debt Free London. They offer services around debt, saving and budgeting including advice on rent arrears, utility bills, credit cards or loan debt. 

Get help dealing with debt.

Charitable grants and advice


You might be able to get a charitable grant through Turn2us, a charity which helps people living in poverty in the UK. The grants are for specific things like buying a new fridge if you can’t afford to replace it.  

This is open to all residents, even those going through immigration. 

See what support you can get from Turn2Us.

General money advice

Greenwich Citizens Advice Bureau (CAB) 

Greenwich Citizens Advice Bureau can help you with free advice on a wide range of problems, including debt, housing, benefits, employment, family issues, discrimination, consumer complaints and many more. 

Speak to CAB advisors about money and debt.