Bin collections and street cleaning
Due to a reduction in staff, we may not be able to provide residents and businesses with a full waste collection service. We are working hard with the resources we have to ensure waste is cleared as quickly and as regularly as possible. Please bear with us, we will get to you as soon as we can.
Please do not call us to report delayed collections, our phone lines are extremely busy.
Reuse and Recycle Centre in Nathan Way
In line with many boroughs, our Reuse and Recycling Centre is now open. The site has restricted opening hours and an appointment-only system in place. It is important that we safely manage the number of vehicles accessing the site, to maintain everyone’s safety and social distancing.
Do not come to the site until you have read the information on the Reuse and Recycling Centre page and made an appointment.
Unfortunately, we cannot take any orders for recycling sacks or other items that can be purchased until further notice. Please do not call our Contact Centre because they will not be able to place an order for you. All our staff are supporting waste collections during this challenging time.
You do not need to use recycling sacks if you have a blue top wheelie bin. We actually prefer it loose. Please make sure your recycling is clean and dry before putting it in your bin.
Bulky waste collections
To help divert resources to our key services, we will be stopping bulky waste collections. All current appointments will be honoured, but no further bookings will be made until further notice.
Street cleaning services on all residential streets has been stopped until further notice. Street cleaning services will continue in town centres only. If you are outdoors for essential reasons, please help keep our streets clean by using the bins provided and taking rubbish home with you.
How can I help?
We would really appreciate your help and support at this challenging time and ask that you minimise how much waste you put out for collection, if you are able to.
Here are some things you can do to help:
- keep your distance to allow our crews to work and minimise risk of infection
- put your bins at the edge of you property
- store bulky items inside your property until we can run the service as usual again
- re-use and recycle as much as possible and make sure that your recycling is clean and dry
- avoid filling your green bin with lots of garden waste and limit it to food waste at this time
- if you are experiencing symptoms of COVID-19 or are currently self-isolating, please ensure you double bag tissues, keep them for 72 hours and then dispose of them into your black top bin
- avoid leaving extra bags around your bins where possible