Keeping residents safe 

We have a number fire prevention measures in place within our buildings and we have carried out a wide range of fire safety improvements in recent years.

Our dedicated fire safety team carry out a planned programme of regular visits, and review our policies and procedures to ensure our buildings remain safe.

There are things you can also do to prevent fires and keep your home, your neighbour’s homes and your community safe.

Read our fire prevention guidance

Fire safety advice

It’s important you know the evacuation plan for your building.

All council tenants get a copy of the fire evacuation strategy for their new home. This provides information on what to do if there is a fire in your home or other part of the building. If you have any questions you should speak to your tenancy services officer.

Fire action notices can be found on the ground floor of our buildings and adjacent to lifts (where provided). These notices provide information to residents and visitors on what to do in the event of a fire.

Living in a block of flats

In accordance with national guidance, all council managed purpose-built blocks of flats operate a defend in place strategy, commonly referred to as 'stay put' policy where residents not in an area directly impacted by the fire should stay inside their flat with doors and windows shut. If anything changes regarding this policy, we will let residents know in writing.

Living in a house converted to flats

If you live in a flat conversion or a converted street property, you will have a different fire evacuation to those living in a block of flats. If there is a fire in your home or another part of the building, all residents must leave immediately.

Living in sheltered or supported accommodation for older persons

If you live in older persons' accommodation, there is a mixed evacuation. This means that if you are in a communal part of the building (e.g. lounge or launderette), you must evacuate the building immediately. If you are in your flat, you must remain there if you are not directly affected by the fire. Should you be required to leave your flat, you will be instructed to do so by the London Fire Brigade. 

Person centred risk assessments - supporting residents to live in their homes

If you or someone in your household finds it difficult to leave your home in an emergency, or you're concerned about a vulnerable neighbour, you should contact your tenancy services officer and request a 'person centered risk assessment'.

One of our officers will then arrange to visit you at home to talk about your concerns.

With your consent, your risk assessment will be shared with the London Fire Brigade, and may generate a home fire safety visit to talk about additional steps which can be taken to keep you safe in your home.

Find out more safety advice from the London Fire Brigade

If you have specific concerns about your building, please contact

Cabinet Responsibilities

The Council has a wide range of duties and powers in respect of fire safety which extends across a number of Cabinet portfolios as set out in this document.

Read more about Cabinet responsibilities