How to licence a special treatment premises
In order to provide special treatments and massage, you need to obtain a licence for your premises from the Royal Borough of Greenwich.
The therapist who provides the treatment also has to be registered with us.
The licence is valid for one year, and it needs to be renewed every year.
What are special treatments?
This covers a wide variety of treatments, including massage, water treatments such as saunas, electrical treatments, and other health and beauty treatments.
Please check the A to Z of treatments to see if the treatments you wish to offer are special treatments.
Some professional organisations are exempt from the requirement for a licence. These include:
- The British Acupuncture Association
- The Royal Pharmaceutical Association
- The British Association of Electrolysists
- The International Federation of Aromatherapists
- The Internal Federation of Reflexologists
- The Shiatsu Society
If the special treatment is carried out by, or under the supervision of, a member of one of these bodies, you do not need a licence for that specific treatment.
If you are a member of a professional body, please check the exempted organisations list to see if you are exempt.
If you are in an exempt professional organisation, you still need to tell us which organisation you belong to, and give us your membership details.
How to apply for a licence
Contact the Environmental Health - Commercial team to apply for a massage and special treatment licence.
What happens next?
Once we have reviewed your application, we will check that your therapists are appropriately qualified and experienced.
We will also visit your premises to check that they are safe, and consult with the police and London Fire Brigade.
Once we are satisfied, we will issue the licence to you.
Conditions of the licence
The licence is subject to both the general terms and conditions 2015 and any special treatment conditions as listed below:
- SC1 Massage and reflexology licence terms and conditions
- SC2 Nail treatments licence terms and conditions
- SC3 Tanning and UV light treatment licence terms and conditions
- SC4 Tattooing and micro pigmentation licence terms and conditions
- SC5 Ear and nose piercing licence terms and conditions
- SC6 Body piercing licence terms and conditions
- SC7 Electrolysis licence terms and conditions
- SC8 Sauna, steam room and spa licence terms and conditions
- SC9 Laser and IPL licence terms and conditions
- SC10 Acupuncture licence terms and conditions
- SC11 Electric current treatments licence terms and conditions
Offences and penalties
It is offence for any person to administer, or advertise the availability of a special treatment without a licence unless there is an exemption in force - see exemptions above. Any person found guilty of an offence may be fined up to £2,500.
Change a licence
Contact the Environmental Health - Commercial team to change a massage and special treatment licence.