When you need a skip licence

You need a licence from the Royal Borough of Greenwich to keep a skip on the roadside. You cannot get the licence yourself - a skip hire company has to apply for the licence. 

The council has an approved list of skip companies and you will need to approach one of these companies.

A standard skip licence will normally be valid for one calendar month.

You do not need a skip licence to keep a skip in your front garden or driveway, and you do not have to use one of the skip companies on our list.

In a council estate or communal area

To have a skip on council housing land, you must apply for a licence through your local estate office. The licence covers skips up to six yards in length.

Licence fees and charges

The standard licence rate for approved skip hire operators from 1 April 2021 to 31 March 2022 is £61. What you pay depends on what the skip hire company charges you.

Any unlicensed skips, and skips which are not conforming to our regulations, will be subject to a charge of £150 per skip to be paid by credit or debit card. Photographic evidence will be used to facilitate our claim, should any legal proceedings occur.

If a skip is located in certain parking bays, Parking Services can charge you by the day for using the bay.

Apply for a skip licence

Skip companies can apply and pay for a licence using our online form.

Apply online for a skip licence

Skip location and size

The skip company will agree with us the safest place to put the skip on the road, bearing in mind your requirements. It is not always possible to site the skip where you want, but we aim to get it as close as possible.

Each skip must not be more than three metres by two metres in size.

Report a problem

If you have concerns about overloaded or unlicensed skips, you can report it by contacting the building licences team.

Skip restrictions 30 September to 4 October 2021

Due to the London Marathon, skips are not permitted on these roads between 6am Thursday 30 September and 6am Monday 4 October 2021.

Street name Area covered
A2/A102  On and off slip roads to Sun in the Sands
Artillery Place Entire Road
Blackheath Village  As much as lies within the Royal Borough of Greenwich
Charlton Park Lane Entire Road
Charlton Park Road Entire Road
Charlton Road Entire Road
Charlton Way Entire Road
College Approach Entire Road
Creek Road  As much as lies within the Royal Borough of Greenwich
Croom's Hill Entire Road
Duke Humphrey Road  Between the boundary of LB of Lewisham and Charlton Way
General Wolfe Road Entire Road
Grand Depot Road Entire Road
Greenwich Church Street Entire Road
Greenwich High Road Entire Road
Greenwich South Street Entire Road
Ha Ha Road Entire Road
Hillreach Entire Road
John Wilson Street Entire Road
Kidbrooke Park Road Entire Road
King William Walk Entire Road
Little Heath Entire Road
Maze Hill Entire Road
Nelson Road Entire Road
Nevada Street Entire Road
Old Dover Road Entire Road
Prince Charles Road  between the boundary of the London Borough of Lewisham and Charlton Way
Prince of Wales Road  between Shooters Hill Road and the boundary of LB Lewisham
Romney Road Entire Road
Shooters Hill Road as much as lies within the Royal Borough of Greenwich
St. John's Park Entire Road
Stockwell Street Entire Road
The Village Entire Road
Trafalgar Road Entire Road
Vanbrugh Park Entire Road
Vanbrugh Terrace Entire Road
Welland Street Entire Road
Wellington Street Entire Road
Westcombe Hill Entire Road
Woolwich Church Street Entire Road
Woolwich High Street Entire Road
Woolwich Road  Entire Road
Woolwich New Road Between Nightingale Place and Grand Depot Road