Appeals, changes and refunds

If you're not satisfied with the decision on a licence application, you can appeal to the First Tier Tribunal within 28 days.

Once a licence is granted, there are separate procedures for varying or revoking it.

You cannot transfer a licence. If you need to change the licence holder, you'll need to make a new licence application and pay the fee.


You'll only be entitled to a refund if:

  • your property does not need a licence at the time of application, for example it falls under one of the exemptions
  • you make a duplicate application

You're not entitled to a refund if:

  • your property needs to be licensed at the time of application
  • you subsequently sell the property