Coronavirus COVID-19: Latest updates

Many council services are reduced or disrupted. Check our coronavirus page for the most up-to-date information. Read the latest and sign up for updates.

Season tickets and car park problem reporting

You can buy annual season tickets - also known as public car park passes - for all car parks run by the Royal Borough of Greenwich except the Abery Street car park. A full list of council-managed car parks is available in the car parks directory.

Find car parks in Royal Greenwich

Sales of all season tickets are subject to availability as there are limitations on how many permits we can sell.

This page contains information about annual car park passes. For information about single-use parking charges (not annual passes) of individual car parks, view the full list of Council-run car parks.

Annual season tickets (car park passes)

Public car park passes run annually from 1 October to 30 September.

View the prices of car park passes

To check the availability for a particular car park, please contact Parking Services at

When you have confirmed the price and availability of the annual season ticket, you can buy one by completing the public car park pass application form and following the payment instructions provided in the form.

Apply for a public car park pass

Report a problem

Report a car park owned by the Royal Borough that needs cleaning

If one of our car parks requires maintenance, call or email Parking Services.

Report an incident or accident

Should you witness or be involved in an accident or incident in any of our car parks, immediately report it by telephoning Parking Services.

You can also report it to the car parks manager in the office at the Calderwood Street car park entrance.

The office maintains the necessary documentation to record full details of any accident or incident.