Skip to main content

Discount for patients in homes

If your sole or main residence is a care home or a hospital, you may qualify for a council tax discount.

To qualify for a discount, you must be receiving care or treatment in the home or hostel and your sole or main residence must be one of following:

  • a residential care home
  • a nursing home
  • a mental nursing home
  • a hostel in England or Wales

Please note - A full council tax bill is based on at least two adults living in a property. Discounts do not apply if at least two people over 18 who live in the same property are counted for council tax purposes. If after discounting occupants there remains only one occupant then a discount of 25% of the council tax bill may be given.

Other residents of the home, including the staff or resident proprietor, who are not patients will not qualify.

Please note - You must continue to pay council tax in accordance with your bill until your discount has been granted. Failure to do so may result in recovery action which could incur costs.

How to apply

Return the completed application form with a letter from the home confirming the period of your occupancy during which you were in receipt of care.

Apply for the council tax discount for patients in homes

Discount for hospital patients

If your main or sole residence is a hospital where you are receiving care or treatment, you may qualify for a council tax discount.

Please note - A short stay (less than six weeks) in hospital has no effect on council tax liability.

You need to include the proof of the dates you are or were in the hospital.

Apply for the council tax discount for hospital patients


If the Royal Borough of Greenwich decides not to award a discount, you can appeal in the first instance to the Council Tax team within 28 days of notice of the decision stating your reasons. However you may not appeal against the amount of the discount.

Related exemption

If as a result of being in hospital or a care home, the persons' original residence is left unoccupied, it will be exempt from council tax.