Apply for a Discretionary Housing Payment

If your rent is not met in full by housing benefit or universal credit and you have a temporary situation which makes it difficult to pay your rent, you can apply for extra help in the form of discretionary housing payments (DHPs).

We only have a limited amount of money each year to help residents with DHPs, so we need to ensure that DHPs are awarded to people who need them most and help those who are taking remedial action to address their long term circumstances.

Not everyone who applies can be given an award, so the more you tell us about your circumstances the better your chances are of getting an award.

Apply for a Discretionary Housing Payment online

Or you can download the paper application form here.

If you have a shortfall because of factors such as the Total Benefit Cap, or the under-occupancy charge, there may be other sources of support available to you, such as employment support or support to move to more affordable accommodation.

If you would like advice about your benefit entitlement, and to make sure you are receiving all of the benefits you are entitled to, you can speak to our Welfare Rights Service