Funding for your community project
If you're looking for funding for a community project, these resources and links can help.
How to write a funding bid
To access most funding and grants, you'll usually need to apply by submitting a funding bid.
Before you start writing a bid, you should:
- prepare by asking your community what its needs are
- make sure your organisation has a constitution or other governing document
- check your accounts and relevant policies are up to date
- read the funding requirements to make sure your project meets them
To write an effective bid:
- read through the questions and make sure you answer each one
- give your bid a clear structure
- check your bid before you send it to make sure it answers the questions and gives the information needed
- contact the funder for help and advice if you need to
- make sure you meet the funder's deadline
This video will give you further help to write a successful funding bid.
For more tips and advice, contact the Community and Business Development team:
- by phone on 020 8921 6479
- by email to firstname.lastname@example.org
Alice is also available for one-to-one advice for small voluntary organisations. We will be offering a series of workshops in the future relating to funding.
Royal Borough of Greenwich
Royal Greenwich has committed £3.65 million in annual funding for the next four years to 67 groups. We confirmed these grants in January 2023.
Each councillor can also use funds from their budget to support the voluntary sector. These funds are partly used to help small local community organisations.
There are also other small grant programmes in place across the council. To find out when these opportunities go live, sign up to our newsletter.
Other useful resources
Community grant finder
This is a database of grants, loans and other funding initiatives available in the UK.
- European Commission grants
- UK government grants
- local government grants
- corporate sponsors
- charitable trusts
It is free to use for small businesses and community groups. It also includes advice from experienced funding bid applicants.
Other funding opportunities
National Lottery Community Fund
The National Lottery Community Fund awards over £600m a year to communities across the UK.
London Community Foundation
London Community Foundation offers grants to projects that encourage involvement in community activities.
London Sport provides information about funding for physical activity and sport in London.