Future High Streets Fund
We're starting work on a range of improvements to Woolwich town centre's main market and high street to make the area a more vibrant place to live, work and shop.
To give the street a refresh by removing clutter, installing new paving, more planting to complement the tree-lined street, public seating, new play spaces and better lighting.
To transform the market and create a more flexible and friendly public space with a new urban garden, terraced seating, lighting and an interactive water fountain.
A striking new market pavilion building with a café, seating, lush planting, play spaces for children and fully accessible public toilets with a changing places facility.
Royal Arsenal Gatehouse
Working with the Greenwich Enterprise Board to reopen the gates of the Grade II listed Royal Arsenal Gatehouse for the first time in nearly 25 years, and lighting the building at night to create an attractive focal point in the town centre.
The Old Town Hall
The first phase of conservation works on the Old Town Hall have now been completed.
The Council is using the building to provide new workspace for creative businesses which will open in summer 2024.
Nearly £25 million of funding for the work and other improvements to Woolwich town centre, has been awarded from the Department for Levelling Up, Housing and Communities’ Future High Street Fund (FHSF) and Historic England’s High Streets Heritage Action Zone (HSHAZ). This is complemented by match funding from the Royal Borough of Greenwich.
To get updates about the project, sign up to our newsletter.
We know from engaging with residents, businesses and market traders that they want:
- improvements to the look and feel of the town centre while preserving Woolwich’s unique character
- a mix of uses on the high street including new businesses, creative workspaces and events
- it to be easier to get around the town centre, creating better connections between the market, high street and riverside, the Elizabeth line station, the Arsenal and surrounding neighbourhoods
- to improve the look of shop fronts and find new uses for old buildings
- more people to shop, eat and socialise in the town centre
- more trees, planting and seating
- better lighting to make the streets and places safer and more inviting
We ran consultations to get feedback on the proposed designs for Beresford Square and Powis Street in March, June and July 2022. Download the consultation reports summarising feedback from local people.