Building regulations and advice

If you're planning on doing building works, make sure you know about the regulations, where you can find a suitable builder or tradesperson and what insurance you may need.

Planning permission and building regulations

You may need planning permission and/or building control approval before starting building works.

Use a competent builder

Before hiring a contractor, check that they're registered with a self-certification scheme. This is where contractors are trained and licensed to do certain aspects of the work under building regulations.

You can find reviews of registered home improvement traders on the Royal Borough's What Trader? scheme.

Building warranties and insurance

You may wish to insure yourself against stalled or unsatisfactory works. There's a range of products that could help:

Your right to cancel

You have the right to cancel most types of contract within 14 days.

Find out more about your right to cancel (Citizens Advice website)