Housing repair service

We are running a reduced housing repairs service until Wednesday 29 May due to industrial action. We will deal with emergencies as normal but may contact you to reschedule pre-booked appointments.

Work out what you need

If you get Universal Credit or Housing Benefit, the maximum amount you can get for rent is based on where you live and the number of bedrooms you’re eligible for. It’s calculated using Local Housing Allowance (LHA) rates.  

This amount will not always cover your full rent. 

When you know how many bedrooms you’re eligible for, you can find your LHA rates. 

Work out how many bedrooms you’re eligible for

Find your LHA rates

You should also make a note of: 

  • what type of property you could afford if you’re on benefits or a low income 
  • whether you need a furnished or unfurnished property 
  • where you’d like to live 

When you find a property, you’ll usually need to pay a deposit to secure it. This is usually one month’s rent, sometimes more, that you’ll need to pay in advance. 

Find out about other options if you cannot afford a deposit or rent in advance

You’ll find more affordable properties outside London. Flats are cheaper than houses and shared accommodation is cheaper than self-contained properties.