Housing repair service

We are running a reduced housing repairs service until Wednesday 29 May due to industrial action. We will deal with emergencies as normal but may contact you to reschedule pre-booked appointments.

Your right to compensation

Compensation for home improvements

If you paid for improvements or changes to your home and you leave before you have had the full benefit of them, you may be able to claim compensation from us.

We base compensation on a formula set by the government. 

What you cannot claim for

You cannot claim compensation for improvements that cost you less than £50 or more than £3,000

If you made home improvements and did not get our written permission, you cannot claim compensation.

What you can claim for

You can make more than one claim but you must make each claim in writing.

Only certain types of improvement qualify:  

  • Bath or shower 
  • Wash hand basin 
  • Toilet 
  • Kitchen sink  
  • Storage cupboards in bathroom/kitchen  
  • Work surfaces for food preparation  
  • Room or water heating 
  • Thermostatic radiator valves 
  • Insulation of pipes, water tanks or cylinders 
  • Loft insulation 
  • Cavity wall insulation  
  • Draught proofing of external doors or windows 
  • Double glazing or other window replacement or secondary glazing 
  • Rewiring or providing of power and lighting or other electrical fittings, including smoke detectors 
  • Security measures but not burglar alarm systems  

Compensation for home loss and disturbance 

If we ask you to move out of your home because we need to redevelop the area, fix major problems or make major improvements, you may be entitled to compensation. We will let you know what you are entitled to. 

How to claim

Please call the contact centre on 020 8921 8900 and they will give you the address.