Skip to main content

Secure tenancies - after the first year

You become a secure tenant when you have lived in your council property for 12 months, so long as you have kept to the conditions of your tenancy.

Your rights

As a secure tenant you have the right to:

  • live in your home for the rest of your life as long as you do what your tenancy agreement says
  • buy your home at a discount, after a qualifying period
  • pass on your home to someone in your family living with you when you die (subject to certain conditions)
  • take in lodgers and sub-let part of your home
  • have your home repaired
  • carry out improvements to your home
  • be paid for certain improvements you have made if you move home
  • help to manage your estate
  • exchange your property for another one
  • be consulted on housing management matters
  • be given information about how we run the homes that we own.

Your responsibilities as a secure tenant

  • you must keep to the rules in your tenancy agreement
  • you must pay your rent
  • you must be a good neighbour and not annoy other tenant.

Sub-letting and lodgers

If you want to sub-let, you must first get written permission from us. We will only refuse if we have good reason.

You cannot sub-let the whole of your home.

How do I get permission?

Contact our housing services team to request permission to sub-let.