Skip to main content

Retire to the coast or countryside

Tired of the city and want to retire to the seaside or country? You may be able to get help from our seaside and country scheme.

Who can apply?

To apply for the scheme you need to be:

  • a council or housing association tenant
  • at least 55 years old
  • able to live independently

What types of property are available?

There are about 3,200 bungalows and flats in the scheme, resulting in around 250 vacancies a year.

The properties may be some distance from shops and other amenities, with a limited bus service.

The properties are for people able to live independently and may not be suitable if you have a severe medical condition.

Where are the properties?

The properties are in coastal and country areas ranging from Cornwall in the south-west of England to Norfolk on the east coast. There are also properties in the Midlands and Lincolnshire.

How do I apply?

You can apply online at Housing Moves or speak to the Access and Allocations Service.

Register for the Seaside and Country Homes scheme

What are my chances of a move?

There is no guarantee of a move, but to help you we can send you information sheets showing which areas have properties in the scheme, and which are most in demand.

To increase your chances of moving it is a good idea to consider both flats and bungalows.