Before you hire a skip, you need to think about where you want to put it.

What you need to do will depend on whether you want the skip on the roadside, or in your garden or driveway.

Keeping a skip on the roadside

To keep a skip on the roadside you need to hire it from a Royal Borough of Greenwich approved skip company.

The company will apply for a skip licence on your behalf and agree on the safest place to put the skip with us.

Each skip must be smaller than three metres by two metres.

Keeping a skip in a council estate or communal area

To have a skip on council housing land, you must apply for a licence through your local estate office. The licence covers skips of up to six yards in length.

It will be valid for 28 days once issued.

Keep a skip in your garden or driveway

You do not need a skip licence and you do not have to use one of the skip companies on our list.

If you want to put a skip on the roadside then you'll need to use one of the companies listed below.

Our approved list makes sure that the company has:

  • satisfactory waste regulation registration
  • a satisfactory health and safety policy
  • adequate public liability.

It's not a guarantee of a satisfactory service.

Local approved skip companies

Apply to become an approved skip company