How to dispose of hazardous household waste

Hazardous household waste

You need to contact the City of London to arrange for a collection of your hazardous household waste. You can't take hazardous waste to the Reuse and Recycling Centre or put it in your wheelie bin.

Hazardous household waste includes items such as:

  • antifreeze, white spirit, adhesives, mastic, petrol and diesel
  • bleach, ammonia and drain cleaners
  • household cleaning products and toilet cleaners
  • garden chemicals, pesticides and weed killers
  • tablets and medicines (but not clinical waste)
  • oil-based and water-based paints.

This service is free of charge.

Apply for a hazardous waste collection (City of London)

Read more about hazardous waste collections (City of London)


There is a limit to the weight, number and type of collections for each household:

  • 50kg maximum weight per collection
  • a maximum of three collections per year
  • no pressurised containers.

Hazardous trade waste

If you're a business and you need to dispose of chemicals, paints and other hazardous waste, contact the City of London - call 020 7332 3433 or email

Contact City of London hazardous waste disposal

City of London,
Hazardous Waste Collection and Disposal Service,
Walbrook Wharf,
Upper Thames Street,
London EC4R 3TD

020 7332 3433