Published: Monday, 20th June 2022
We’re asking local people for their feedback on exciting design proposals that aim to revitalise Woolwich town centre.
The proposals have been developed in consultation with the local community to improve the look and feel of the town centre.
It will help to attract people to the market and local shops, creating a more vibrant and attractive space for residents and businesses, celebrating Woolwich’s distinctive character and heritage.
The works are funded by Department for Levelling Up, Housing and Communities’ Future High Streets Fund (FHSF) as part of a drive to support the growth and sustainability of high streets throughout England.
Cllr Aidan Smith, Cabinet Member for Regeneration, said: “The views and ideas of local people are at the heart of this project. We want to make sure these multi-million pound improvements deliver what the community wants. It’s a fantastic opportunity to capitalise on the arrival of Elizabeth line services which has really helped to put Woolwich on the map, and stimulate further investment by businesses, developers and the Council. I would encourage residents, businesses and community groups to get involved and give your feedback.”
The proposals for Woolwich town centre include:
- improving the layout of Beresford Square and Powis Street to encourage more shoppers and visitors
- providing flexible space for community events and al-fresco dining for local cafes and restaurants
- improving facilities for market traders
- a new interactive water feature, play spaces and planting
- improving lighting to make the town centre feel safer and support the night-time economy
- improving paving and providing more public seating
- artwork celebrating Woolwich’s unique history
- removing street clutter
- improving connections with local bus stops and train stations
The consultation is open until midnight on Sunday 17 July 2022. There are a variety of ways people can share their feedback, including a series of events which offer the opportunity to discuss the proposals with officers and ask questions.
Residents, shoppers and businesses can get involved by:
- Giving feedback on Commonplace: woolwichtowncentre.commonplace.is/
- Visiting our exhibitions at the Front Room (105 Powis Street) or at Woolwich Centre library and fill in a questionnaire
- Visiting one of our pop-up events:
- Tuesday 21 June, 11am-2pm: Beresford Square market
- Thursday 23 June, 5pm-7pm: outside Elizabeth line, Royal Arsenal Riverside
- Saturday 25 June, 10am-1pm: Woolwich Front Room, 105 Powis Street
- Wednesday 29 June, 5pm-7pm: outside Woolwich DLR station (Greens End exit)
- Thursday 30 June, 5pm-7pm: Tesco, Love Lane
- Saturday 2 July, 10am-1pm: Beresford Square
- Taking part in one of our online webinars:
- Saturday 9 July, 10am – 12pm
- Wednesday 13 July, 6pm–8pm
Following the consultation, the feedback received will be used to help finalise our designs before a planning application is submitted in the summer. Construction is expected to start in spring 2023 and take approximately 12 months.
Full details of the proposals, event details and booking links can be found at woolwichtowncentre.commonplace.is Anyone can register for updates on the programme.