Skip to main content

Construction equipment on public roads and pavements

If you need to put up building site hoardings or scaffolding, cranes or containers on public roads or pavements, you have to obtain a licence from the Royal Borough of Greenwich. Cranes and containers within a building site or on other private land do not require a licence.

By law, you need to put up hoardings to separate building works from the street, and to ensure that they are securely erected. If you do not do this, you could be fined up to £5,000 for non-compliance with a scaffolding licence.

Licence validity period

The licence will normally be valid for one calendar month. To extend it, which should be done before the licence expires, please contact us.

How to apply for a scaffolding, hoarding, crane or container licence

You can apply online for a licence.

Apply for a scaffolding, hoarding, crane or container licence

You will need to tell us:

  • the name of your company
  • the company address
  • your name
  • your phone number and fax number
  • the site address
  • the date the work is to start
  • the duration of the work
  • the approximate height and length of the hoarding or scaffolding
  • the main dimensions of the hoardings, scaffolding, cranes or containers over the public highway

How much does it cost?

You need a separate licence for:

  • scaffolding
  • hoardings
  • each crane and container

You will need to pay a non-refundable pre and post site inspection fee of £97 when you make your application.

The licence fees vary depending on what you need one for. From 1 April 2024 to 31 March 2025, a licence for:

  • scaffolding is £185 per month
  • hoarding is £185 per month
  • a crane is £373 per month
  • a container is £312 per month

You will also need to pay a refundable deposit (terms and conditions apply).

The cost of licences are reviewed yearly in April.

What happens next

When you have completed the online application form and paid the inspection fee, one of our engineers will come to inspect the location.

The engineer will decide on the size of the refundable deposit - in addition to the standard licence fee - that you will have to pay. This deposit is to cover any damage that may be caused.

You will be required to pay your deposit and licence fee in advance, either by cash, cheque or credit or debit card. We will call you to inform you of the amount payable and your payment options.

When we have received your payment we will issue you with a licence.

When you have completed your building work, you will need to contact us again to let us know.

Our engineer will revisit and inspect your site. If the hoardings, scaffolding, cranes or containers have not damaged the road or street, we will return the deposit to you. If you have damaged the highway, the cost of repairing the damaged area will be deducted from the refunded sum.

Conditions of the licence

We will tell you all the conditions attached to the licence when it is issued.