Admission arrangements for primary schools

If there are more applications than places available at a school, the admission authority for the school will use its admission criteria to decide which applicants should be offered a place.

Decisions about offers of places in community schools are the responsibility of the Royal Borough of Greenwich.

Decisions about admissions to academies and voluntary aided schools are made by the schools' governing bodies.

You can find out what type of school a school is by looking at its entry in the primary school admissions booklet.

Voluntary aided schools

The admissions policies of different voluntary aided schools are varied, so we recommend that you read the admission arrangements for these schools before you apply.

These schools also have separate supplementary information forms you'll need to complete if you're applying to them.

The following schools use a supplementary information form. These forms and the schools’ admission arrangements can be can be downloaded from their website, which you can link to by clicking on the names below. 

You can find the admissions arrangements information and download supplementary information forms for primary voluntary aided schools on the specific school's website.

Community schools 

Admissions priority

First priority will go to children with an education, health and care (EHC) plan naming the school.

Remaining places will be given in the following order:

  1. Looked after and all previously looked after children, including those children who appear to have been in state care outside of England and ceased to be in state care as a result of being adopted.

    A ‘looked after child’ is a child who is in the care of an English local authority in accordance with section 22 (a) of the Children Act 1989. A looked after child is only considered as such if the local authority confirms he or she will be in public care when he or she is admitted to a school.

    A ‘previously looked after child’ is a child who was looked after but ceased to be so because they were adopted or became subject to a child  arrangements or special guardianship order.

    A child is regarded as having been in state care in a place outside of England if they were accommodated by a public authority, a religious organisation or any other provider of care whose sole purpose is to benefit society.

  2. Children with a chronic medical or social care need for a particular school.

    This may also apply to an immediate family member. The application must be supported by a letter written by a professional such as a qualified medical practitioner, setting out the reasons why the school is the only one that can meet the child's needs and the implications for the child if they are not offered a place at the school.

    Work commitments and childcare arrangements are not considered as being a chronic medical or social care need.

  3. Children with a sibling - living at the same address - who is already attending the school at the time of the child's admission.

    Sibling means a full, half, step, adopted or foster brother or sister. This does not include siblings who attend a school's nursery provision.

  4. Other children based on home to school distance.

    The distance from home to school is measured as a straight line from the centre of the home address to the centre of the school site.

    If two applicants live an equal distance from the school, the offer of a place will be decided by random allocation.

    Attendance at a school's nursery, children of staff, work commitments and childcare arrangements are not part of the decision making proces.

Primary academy schools have the same or similar arrangements as primary community schools.

You can find full details of the council's admission policies in the Royal Greenwich primary admission arrangements document.

View the primary school offers map