Yes, if you move into a residential or nursing care home you will be expected to contribute towards the cost of your care. This is in accordance with the National Assistance Act 1948.

Financial assessment

How much you have to pay will depend on your ability to pay. This will be calculated in line with The National Assistance (Assessment of Resources) Regulations 1992.

If you decide residential or nursing care is right for you a member of the Health and Adult Services financial assessment team will contact you.

You can also ask them to contact a member of your family or your nominated representative (perhaps someone who holds 'power of attorney' for you).

The financial assessment team will arrange to complete a full financial assessment of your circumstances.

Your charge will be based on the details you provide on your financial assessment form. The assessment takes into account your income and assets to produce the amount that you will be asked to contribute towards your care.