If you are considering moving into residential or nursing care, contact Adult Social Care.


Referrals can be made by:

  • yourself
  • a family member or carer on your behalf, and with your consent
  • your doctor, nurse, or other health and social care professional.

Assessment and considerations

When you are referred to our assessment officers, we will work with you to find the best way to support you.

  1. At first we will see if there are ways that you can be supported at home, such as with reablement or care in the home
  2. If you are already receiving care at home, we may look at ways this can be increased to meet any changes in your needs
  3. If it is not possible for you to receive support at home, we will discuss alternative care arrangements with you. This may include arranging nursing or residential care.

You will be fully involved with your assessment and encouraged to express your views. Your carers and family can also be involved in your assessment if you wish. Your assessing officer may also need to contact other agencies involved in your care - such as your doctor or support worker - to help in the assessment.