Types of short-term care available

If you've had a sudden health setback, there are two types of support you can apply for:

  • Reablement
  • Intermediate care.


Reablement is for people discharged from hospital who need some extra support. It's short term help we can carry out in your home, or wherever you're living within the borough.

Reablement means 'learning or re-learning the day-to-day skills needed to encourage self-confidence, support independence and promote healthy living'.

You may receive support from physiotherapists and occupational therapists to help regain your independence. This will be between 7am and 11pm, seven days a week, and times can be flexible.

We'll design your support plan around your individual needs, working with you to draw up plans for the care, therapy and support you may need. This focuses on maintaining your independence and supporting you to live in your own home.

How long support lasts

Support workers can provide support for up to six weeks. Generally support lasts two to three weeks, as most people regain much of their independence during this time.

We'll work with you and your family to agree about reducing your support as your confidence and independence improves.

At the end of your support plan, you'll not need on-going support, or will only need a limited amount of help.

If you still need support, we'll work with you to arrange a personal budget for longer term help.

If you're not eligible for on-going support at home, we'll refer you to other organisations that may be able to help.

Intermediate care

Intermediate care offers short term intensive support for individuals who need more hands-on help.

It takes place in a rehabilitation unit, with access to 24-hour care and on-site therapy services.

There are many units where you can stay, that provide rehabilitation services alongside nursing care. Carers and therapy workers are available to ensure you have the support you need while your confidence and independence improves.

Apply for reablement or intermediate care

To apply, please contact Adult Social Care.

We'll carry out an assessment of your needs to see if you're eligible for support. During this assessment, we'll see whether there is potential for you to become more independent with the right support.

People can sometimes manage at home with the help of equipment. We can order minor pieces of equipment, including (but not limited to):

  • perching stools
  • raised toilet seats
  • bed levers
  • commodes
  • shower

If you're in hospital you, or a family member, should speak with a health professional involved in your care. They will make a referral to the Hospital Integrated Discharge Team for an assessment.


There is no charge for the reablement service. You may need to contribute to the cost of on-going care if you still need support after your service has ended.

Adult Social Care will give further information about intermediate care costs.