Tackling drainage problems

We investigate any complaints relating to drainage, determine the nature of the problem, and decide who's responsible.

If you find a blocked gully or drain on a public highway, or a broken drain cover, we can usually fix it. In general, we can sort out problems on residential roads, although some A roads aren't our responsibility.

Our drain-sucking machines also visit every road at least once a year to make sure the drains are clear.

Report a problem

If the problem is on a public street, road or highway, you can report the problem online.

Report a drainage problem on a public street, road or highway

If the problem is on a council estate or on the outside of a council block, call our cleaning team on 020 8921 4661.

Please note - if a gully appears to be blocked after heavy rain, give some time for the water to drain away before reporting it.

If the problem is on private land, we can't fix it but we can help establish who's responsible for the drains. Call our environmental health department on 020 8921 8157 or email private-housing-regulation@royalgreenwich.gov.uk.

What happens next

If a blocked drain or gully on a public highway is likely to cause flooding, we'll clear it within 24 hours of getting a report.

If a gully cover is damaged or missing, we'll make it safe within 24 hours of your report.

Permanent repairs may take longer.